Friday, November 9, 2007

Pronounce it? I don't even know what it looks like!

I heard it a lot, most people gagging trying to pronounce the names of a lot of these towns I'm listing. I have a map in from of me at my desk for years that I still practice with when talking to others in doing the research. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was talking with Stan Kensic in trying to find a link between our lines and he has been there and still has trouble getting the towns right!

But one thing that Stan said to me just stuck with me; he told me how amazing it is that how much the area of Poland our families came from looks like the Uniontown, PA area. Granted we have built wider roads and McDonald's in Uniontown (but no real Starbucks yet! Anyone willing to invest in one with me?), but other than that it is like they just searched for a place to feel like the old home.

Well, as far as I know none of us have been back there but I have located some views of the area around the web. One I like is by Michelle Tibbetts, a U.S. missionary who appears to go to Poland on a regular basis. I just exchanged a few notes with her but you can see her pictures of the area at her SmugMug site.

No comments:

 
ads on blogs